Ok…. I am back and now I have this nesting box “dialed-in”.
I used two cabinet latches to secure the base to the rest of the box so the box can be lifted off of a maternally-incubating female.
I also figured out the cabinet latches on this version. The trick is to figure out where they SHOULD be and then move them 1/16″ further out by drilling the holes for the latches farther apart and then when it is put together it takes a lot of camming force to close.
Finally, when I drilled through the front piece and through the plexiglass and into the sides I went much more slowly and slowed the rpm of the drill. The result is that the plexiglass did not crack.
This one is close to perfect.